A Guest Blog by Registered Dietitian Leslie Goldstein of HealthyStepNutrition.com
Where can you be outdoors in the summer, meet friendly people, and discover new and healthy foods grown near your hometown?…..FARMERS MARKETS!
There are about two million farmers markets in the United States, 80% of which are run by small farms. The Greenmarket in New York was founded in 1976 to promote regional agriculture. Now there are over 50 locations in New York in all five boroughs.
Farmers markets are great places to purchase local foods, from fresh fruits and vegetables to whole grains, fresh meats, poultry and fish, flowers and herbs. Farmers sell the foods directly to the consumer and are happy to talk about them, describing the best ways to prepare them and teaching about how the foods are grown. Food that is not sold goes to feed the hungry by being donated to groups like City Harvest, soup kitchens, and pantries.
Why shop at a farmers markets and not the supermarket?
- They are usually less expensive than supermarkets with no middleman selling the foods
- Foods taste fresher as they travel less miles to arrive in your kitchen
- They are a good way to support the community you live in as well as small farmers and meet some neighbors
- You can discover a variety of foods and experiment with new recipes
What is local and healthy in New York during the summer?
- FRUITS: Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries, plums
- VEGETABLES: Asparagus, beets, eggplant, Brussels sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, corn
In Manhattan check out these popular larger farmers markets each week!
- Union Square- Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat
- World Financial Center (South End Ave at Liberty St inside cul-de-sac)- Thurs
- Tribeca (Greenwich St between Chambers and Duane)- Wed and Thurs
To find additional farmers markets in your neighborhood- http://www.grownyc.org/ourmarkets
- Leslie Goldstein, RD
Leslie Goldstein is a Registered Dietitian (RD) practicing in North Bergen and Hoboken, New Jersey. Leslie is an avid exerciser who combines her nutrition knowledge and passion with motivational support in counseling to help her clients make lifestyle changes. Leslie specializes in weight management, general wellness, Diabetes, bariatric surgery, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. Leslie accepts most major insurances. Telephone and/or online consults available.
8100 Kennedy Blvd. North Bergen, NJ 07047 Ph: 201-378-3287